The ACS Houses were named after distinguished people who had contributed significantly to ACS. All the ACS Schools have the same House system.
Thoburn House (Thoburn)
Thoburn House was named after Bishop Dr James Thoburn. He was responsible for initiating and accompanying the pioneer mission to Singapore. He (and Bishop Oldham) were responsible in the setting up of the Methodist Church as a Mission in Singapore in 1885. Bishop Dr Thoburn’s vision (and Bishop Oldham) made possible the birth of ACS. Had it not been for him, there might not have been an ACS. It was his personal initiative as an important leader in the Methodist Conference in India that resulted in the planting of the first Methodist Church in Singapore in 1885.
Oldham House (Oldham)
Oldham House was named after Bishop William F Oldham who founded ACS in 1886. His first tour of duty in Singapore lasted about five years and the Methodist Mission was well and truly established when he left Singapore. Poor health forced him to return to America. In 1926, he and his wife visited Singapore and participated in the 40 th anniversary of the School, and again in 1935 at the Golden Jubilee of the Methodist Mission.
Cheong Koon Seng House (CKS)
Mr Cheong Koon Seng was for many years the President of ACSOBA. One of the earliest ACSians he joined ACS in 1891. In the 1934 ACS Magazine, Mr Cheong was memorialized as “a genial friend, a sound businessman and a loyal old boy of the school to which he had rendered valuable and ungrudging help.”
Working very closely with the Methodist Mission, he helped to acquire the land at Barker Road where the ACS ( Barker Road) complex now stands.
Tan Kah Kee House (TKK)
Goh Hood Keng House (GHK)
Rev Goh Hood Keng was one of the most remarkable ACSians. He taught for about 20 years in ACS and distinguished himself as one of the most esteemed teachers of the school. He was the first Singaporean ordained Methodist Minister. As a minister of the Methodist Church, he pastured the Straits Chinese Methodist Church (Kampong Kapor Methodist Church) for nearly 40 years until he retired in 1952. As a preacher, Bishop Doraisamy considered him a “legend before his time”. Combining his gift of teaching with that of preaching was perhaps why the School named one of the Houses after him.
Lee Seng Gee House (LSG)
Dr Lee Seng Gee is the Chairman of the Lee Foundation since 1967. Dr Lee is the eldest son of Tan Sri Dr Lee Kong Chian and is an ACSian. He is also the Chairman of Lee Rubber Pte Ltd and the Lee Group of Companies.
The Lee Foundation was set up by Dr Lee’s father. Popularly known as the “Rubber King”, philanthropist, businessman and civic leader Lee Kong Chian benefited from attending schools made possible by the generosity of first generation community leaders. He made it his legacy to continue this tradition of contributing to the society from which one benefited.
The establishment of the Lee Foundation in 1952, served as a platform for further philanthropic work, where he assisted a wide spectrum of the community, in particular, toward the advancement of education, medical assistance and social welfare. The Lee Foundation continues to donate generously to the ACS family of schools.
Shaw Vee Meng House (SVM)
One of Asia’s most respected philanthropists, the Shaw brothers were prominent businessmen, who made their fortune from film production and distribution. Their overriding principle was wealth gained through society should be returned and in generous measures. The Shaw Foundation is one of the largest philanthropic organizations in the world, distributing generously to various fields of education, welfare, medicine and heritage.
In 1970, Shaw Foundation’s financed the new Olympic-sized pool, Shaw Pool, at the ACS at Barker Road, making it the first school in Singapore to own such a sporting facility. In later years, the Shaw Foundation also funded the building of one block of classrooms, named Shaw Block in the old Barker Road Campus and the Shaw Library at ACS (Independent).
To this day, the Shaw Foundation continues to make generous donations to the ACS family of Schools, in support of educational pursuits, the arts and the building of a brand-new Olympic-sized pool at the new ACS Barker Road Campus.
Tan Chin Tuan House (TCT)
Tan Sri Tan Chin Tuan set up the Tan Foundation in 1976. Between the mid-1950s and mid-1970s Tan Sri was appointed Chairman of OCBC Bank and eight other blue chip Singapore companies. Tan Sri is an ACSian.
A magnanimous philanthropist, an astute businessman and a distinguished civic leader with an impeccable record of public service to Singapore, Tan Chin Tuan lived by the highest standards of personal conduct. Well-known for his integrity and compassion, he has been the benefactor, in many cases anonymously, of a host of charitable and educational institutions.
In 1950, he played a significant role in the Building Committee and gave generously to the construction of the original Barker Road Campus. Today, his generosity to his alma mater, Anglo-Chinese School, is commemorated in the gift of the Tan Chin Tuan Hall, the Tan Cheng Siong Theatre in memory of his father at Barker Road, the Tan Chin Tuan Auditoriums at ACS (Independent) and at Anglo-Chinese Junior College, and the numerous scholarships awarded to outstanding students at both ACS (Independent) and Anglo-Chinese Junior College and named after ACS pioneers.
Through his deeds, Tan Chin Tuan represents the values of kindness, diligence and dedication and has become a powerful symbol of the spirit of Singapore’s early pioneers.