Self-discipline is one of the important virtues and the College believes that every student is able to achieve self-discipline. The minimum level of discipline expected from the students is in the form of rules and regulations structured to
- create an environment for effective teaching and learning.
- build a sense of identity, belonging and loyalty.
- inculcate good social behaviour.
- Loyalty, integrity and honesty are qualities expected of all students.
- All students should be courteous, polite and well-behaved at all times.
- Orderliness and decorum must be observed at all times.
- All students must be punctual for College, classes, games and other College activities and events.
- No students may leave the College premises during college hours without the permission of the Principal or Vice-Principal, any teacher-in-charge of discipline or class teacher.
- Absence from College shall only be permitted when it is supported by
- A letter of excuse from the parent/guardian for a period not exceeding one day, or
- A medical certificate for a period of two or more consecutive days
- Students who have 5% or more absenteeism may be barred from sitting for the year end examinations or asked to leave the college.
- No student may leave a lesson without the prior permission of the teacher-in-charge.
IV. Assemblies and Dismissals
- Attendance is compulsory for morning assembly.
- All assemblies and dismissals from assemblies shall be executed in accordance with the prescribed plan.
- Flag-raising ceremonies will be held at 7.30 am every college day and at 8:30 am on Tuesdays. All students will assemble in the auditorium/LT1 by 7.25 am every college day and at 8:25 am on Tuesdays.
- Students who are Singapore Citizens must sing the National Anthem and take the Pledge. Students will take the Pledge with the right fist placed over the heart.
- After dismissal, students will leave the assembly area in an orderly manner to lectures / tutorials or other lessons.
- College assemblies and Chapel services will be conducted in the auditorium. Silence and good conduct must be observed by all students.
- Dismissal from classes for recess or from the College shall be effected only by the teacher-in-charge.
- No student may leave the College premises without permission until
after 1.10 pm or the last lesson, whichever is later. For Wednesdays,
the earliest dismissal time is 1.50 pm.
V. Co-Curricular Programmes (CCP)
- All students are expected to participate in at least 1 CCA and 1 CIP within college.
- All students are required to report for games or other CCA/CIP punctually.
- Students must refer to the College notice boards for all activities (e.g. games and societies).
- No student is allowed to play for outside teams or organizations without the prior permission of the Principal.
- Visitors must register at the Security Post (at the front gate) and make inquiries at the College Office before going to other parts of the College.
- No visitor is allowed to see or contact a student without prior permission of the Principal/Vice-Principal.
- Vandalism and littering are prohibited. It is the duty of every student to keep the College premises and College field clean.
- When reporting to college on weekends and during school vacations, students are required to be properly attired in college t-shirts, college bottoms (trousers or skirts) and shoes. No slippers and sandals are allowed.
- College badge must be worn at all times.
- Students are advised not to carry excessive sum of money and/or expensive articles.
- Students are to use the college lifts at levels 1 and 5 only. No student is allowed to use the lifts immediately after dismissal from morning assemblies and chapels.
- No student is allowed to:
- enter stores, laboratories, workrooms, staffrooms, the Teachers’ Lounge or the office of the Heads of Department without permission.
- sit on desks or railings and ledges;
- use music players/handphone/camera during lessons.
- All food must be consumed in the canteen and the void deck, and all used plates, bowls and cutlery must be returned to the receptacles provided for this purpose. No food is to be brought out of the canteen and the void deck.
- Smoking is prohibited by law.
- No card games are allowed in the college.
- Students are required to observe special rules in laboratories, library and CCAs.
Demerit point system
The penalty for infringement of any of the above rules and regulations will take the form of a demerit point system, where demerit points will be given accordingly. Points issued will range from 1 to 12 accumulated over the time spent in ACJC.
All teachers are responsible for effecting the system in their roles as disciplinarians. They are expected to issue on-the-spot correction as an initial measure. In the event that the student fails to abide by the rule, the teacher will then issue demerit points according to the guide given in the following table. Teachers are to report all infringements of rules and regulations to the Vice-Principal or any of the Discipline Masters/Mistresses who will then deal accordingly with the recalcitrant student.
As a guide, the following is a list of offences and the respective demerit points:
|1||Late for school||1*|
|2||Absent from class without a valid reason||1|
|3||Improper dress code for various college activities/functions||1|
|4||Long hair/untidy hairstyles||1|
|5||Failure to comply with specific instructions||1|
|6||Absent from college without a valid reason||1|
|7||Leaving college without prior permission from the Principal/Vice-Principal/DM/Class teacher before stipulated times||3|
|8||Misconduct i.e. rude/defiance, talking in the library, eating/drinking outside canteen area, rowdy behaviour or any such conduct unacceptable to an atmosphere for study and learning.||1-3|
|9||Littering and failure to return empty plates and cutlery to receptacles.||1|
|10||Dishonesty i.e. incessant lying, plagiarism, cheating in exams/test, falsifying reports, documents and certificates.||6-12|
|11||Failure to show proper conduct at flag raising ceremony or absence from college functions without valid reason.||12|
|12||Vandalism and graffiti||12|
|13||Smoking/consumption of drugs/glue sniffing||12|
|15||Extortion and threatening behaviour||12|
* One demerit point for every three late-comings.
Certain measures will be taken when a student accumulates the following number of points:
5 points onwards – Parents/Guardians will be notified.
9 points onwards – Suspension from classes up to a maximum of 7 days.
12 points – Dismissal from college. No testimonial will be issued to the student at the end of his/her two years in the college.
While the above demerit points serve as a guide to the college’s implementation of the system, the Principal reserves the sole right to issue the points as and when she deems fit, according to the severity of the offence.